Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Week in Review

Tuesday, I arrive at group. It is the last meeting for the main leader. The meeting goes well. We finish up the group. I find out I have to plan and execute next weeks meeting. This is a prayer request. Please pray that the Tuesday meeting will go well.


Wednesday, i walk out of my Romanian lesson and pass a garbage can. I have some trash to throw away so I stop and throw my trash in. At the same moment a man walks up and begins to dig through the trash can that is next to the one that I am using. It was a moment of questioning for me. Questions of how, why, and what came to mind. How did this man get to a place where he needs to dig through trash? Why do we live in a world where this is not addressed and fixed? What can I do as a single human to change the world? This wasn't the first time I have seen people dig through trash. But this is the first time that I was throwing something away that signified my wealth (I was throwing away water bottles and food that I had brought from America) standing next to a man who hoped to find something of wealth and use in the trash. This really struck me because I was so close to it and felt the barrier between us even though we both bleed red.


Thursday, my advisor and I went to another NGO which works with primary school children in a type of after school program. I played a game with them. One I have played many times in different settings in America "We're going on a Bear Hunt". It was so much fun to see there actions and them laughing and enjoying the activity. It shows the hope and future for Romania can be bright with organizations such as New Horizons Foundation and the other NGOs working with the children and young people. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."


Oh, one more thing because I enjoyed my home stay so much I decided to extend it for another two weeks. This means I will be leaving there house on March 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment