Sunday, February 7, 2010

The same struggles here and there

I realized today that I missed my normal Saturday posting. Oh well at least I am getting something up...then again I don't know if anyone really reads this so what does it matter when I post.


This week was fairly uneventful besides that fact that I felt it just flew by. I honestly couldn't believe it was Thursday and the week was done already. At this point in my practicum I have joined two different IMPACT clubs. In these clubs there is a service-learning component and learning happens through games and stories. I have joined two groups one is with middle-school students and the other is high-school students. I really love each of the groups. They both give off such different vibes and are in different stages of being a group. I really am enjoying it.


On Friday I was able to spend the afternoon with two of the girls who are in the high school group. I was able to go over to one of the girls house and just spend the afternoon talking and hanging out. We talked over some pizza that girl made for us. It was such a blessing to spend that time with them. But this is where my title comes in also..."The same struggles here and there" At one point when we were getting ready to eat one of the girls said she would not eat very much because she had to lose weight. She was very unhappy with the size she was. This really just broke my heart because this girl is in no way over weight. She is so beautiful and loving. I would honestly love to put her in my pocket and take her home with me because she has such great energy and is so caring. She also has the best smile ever! Anyway, when I heard her say this it broke my heart because in no way should this 17-year-old be worrying about her weight. She should be just enjoying spending time with friends and being 17. But because of the society she is raised in there is a a perceived mold that everyone should fit in and she feels she doesn't so she wants to change. I guess it just broke my heart to see that this body image struggle is not confined to certain areas but it goes beyond borders. It really hurts me to see what an issue it is. It makes me wonder why this started and how to change it.


Sorry this was such a serious post. On a lighter note. Monday, I left the house to go to work. The road I walk down has a steep hill at the beginning. It had been icy on the road but I didn't fully understand how icy it was until I began to slide down the hill and was not able to stop. I slide for a good 10 feet. Luckily I didn't fall but I have to admit there was a bit of screaming and flapping of arms involved.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading! And, I appreciate hearing how things are going. Sounds like you are having meaningful conversations.

    ReplyDelete